ADVANCED TREATMENT FOR TREMORS
We are the only neurosurgical practice in Colorado and the surrounding multi-state region performing a revolutionary, incision-less treatment for essential tremor — MR-guided focused ultrasound treatment.
What is MR-guided focused ultrasound?
MR-guided focused ultrasound is a treatment method that combines two technologies: Magnetic resonance (MR) and Ultrasound —focused beams of acoustic energy—to heat and destroy a small, targeted area of tissue in the brain where tremor cells are located without harming adjacent tissues. The focused ultrasound leads to the precise destruction of the cells, thereby eliminating your tremors. Focused ultrasound is a safe, incision-less, and non-invasive treatment.
Contact Us Today
For more information about MR-guided focused ultrasound for essential tremor, please call (800) 720-0692 or email BCHTremorTreatment@insightec.com.
Benefits of MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound Treatment
- Incisionless Treatment: No general anesthesia required; minimal to no risk of infection or bleeding that would be present with incision-based procedures;
- Tremor improvement: Immediate improvement following the procedure; improved quality of life
- Safe & Effective: Physicians can determine if treatment is working in real-time during the procedure.
- Rapid Recovery: Performed on an outpatient basis in a single treatment. Quick recovery; patients return to daily activities within a day of the procedure.
Understanding the Treatment Procedure
Ultrasound is a form of energy that can pass through skin, muscle, and bone without incisions. This carefully-planned procedure focuses ultrasound waves on a small spot in the brain considered to be responsible for causing tremors. Guided by MR images, ultrasound energy is tightly focused on a specific target in the body where it can destroy tissue by rapidly heating it. There is no damage to the surrounding tissue and no exposure to radiation.
The nonsurgical procedure is performed while you are awake inside an MRI scanner. The scanner allows the physician to precisely plan the procedure, treat only the intended area, and determine if treatment is working in real-time.
Patients who have undergone this procedure have shown an immediate and significant reduction in tremor, resulting in improvement in performing daily activities such as eating, drinking, and writing.
MR-guided focused ultrasound treatments are covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicare. Contact your insurance carrier to confirm coverage.
Focused Ultrasound Treatable Conditions
Essential tremor. Essential tremor (ET) is a neurological condition that causes involuntary shaking of almost any part of the body. It most commonly affects the hands and can also affect the arms, head, larynx (voice), chin, tongue, and other areas, including legs and torso. ET typically worsens over time and can make simple everyday tasks difficult, such as drinking from a glass or tying shoelaces.
Often confused with Parkinson’s disease, ET is eight times more common, affecting an estimated 10 million people in the US.
Symptoms of ET generally:
- Begin gradually, usually more prominently on one side of the body.
- Worsen with movement
- Occur in the hands first, affecting one hand or both hands
- Can include a “yes-yes” or “no-no” motion of the head
- May worsen during purposeful movement or periods of emotional stress, fatigue, caffeine, or temperature extremes.